The leaves are changing and the weather is starting to get crazy. It can mean only one thing: it’s time for cranberries. Whether you put them into cream-cheese-and-turkey sandwiches or bake them into tasty desserts, cranberries add a special kick with a seasonal flair.
Today’s recipe comes from Allrecipes.com, which can give you some great ideas for making healthy, home-made bread a part of your diet.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup chopped cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan.
- Combine the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Add the cranberries and walnuts, and stir to coat with flour. Mix together the egg, oil, orange juice, and orange zest. Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture, and stir until just blended. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 50 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then remove to a wire rack, and cool completely.